Ad

Two die repairing transformer in Chennai, India

Jan 7, 2020
Posted by Patrick Haddad

Two workers from the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) were electrocuted to death while attempting to repair a faulty transformer in the state’s capital Chennai.

The incident took place in the city’s Sowcarpet area. The workers were attending to repair work in the area when they climbed the transformer. 

According to the police, Vincent, aged 40 and Surya, aged 45 had come to tend to repairs on Avudai Naicken Street in Kothawal Chavadi. A power outage had been reported in the area following the rains the city witnessed on Tuesday evening and early on Wednesday. 

They had climbed the transformer and were working on it when an unexpected electric shock knocked Vincent to the ground. Surya, who was also killed instantly, got stuck on the transformer.

Visuals from the area showed that the men had not been given safety gear.

With fire and rescue personnel rushing to the spot, the bodies of both men were sent to the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital for post mortem.

Police are investigating how the transformer, that had reportedly been turned off for repair, had sparked the electrocution.

Source: The News Minute

Photo (for illustrative purposes): Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


    Warning: Use of undefined constant ptntheme_comment - assumed 'ptntheme_comment' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /www/htdocs/w00fcd38/wp-content/themes/ptntheme/content-single.php on line 289